After a drill, a jigsaw is one of the first tools that people buy. A jigsaw has all sorts of uses for professionals and hobbyists, allowing one to cut wood or metal into shapes accurately. Jigsaws are very good at cutting intricate curves that go beyond the capabilities of many other tools. They are also portable and inexpensive, and people, therefore, buy them before they have an extensive tool collection.
One might imagine that jigsaws can only cut wood, but even though they are portable, they can often cut through metal with the right blades. Jigsaws can also cut at an angle and not merely straight up and down – one does not need a more expensive table saw to do this cutting.
Not all Jigsaws are created equal and one should choose a saw from a respected brand or from an up-and-coming company that is known to make quality tools. Different saws have different strengths, weaknesses, and features.
Here we will talk about the features, advantages, and disadvantages of ten popular jigsaws. As we know two types of jigsaws that are corded and cordless jigsaw exist in the world tools market. So we segregate the ten popular jigsaws equally into two parts as the corded and cordless jigsaw.
Contents At A Glance
- 1 View The List of 1o Top Jigsaws in 2021
- 2 The 5 Best Corded Jigsaw Reviews
- 3 The 5 Best Cordless Jigsaw Reviews
- 4 The Ultimate Jigsaw Buyers Guide
- 5 What features should one look for in a jigsaw?
- 6 Final Word
View The List of 1o Top Jigsaws in 2021
- Bosch Corded Jigsaw, Top Handle – JS470E
- BLACK+DECKER Smart Select Jig Saw – BDEJS600C
- DEWALT Corded Jig Saw, Top Handle – DW331K
- Makita Corded Jig Saw, Top Handle – JV0600K
- SKIL Corded Jig Saw – JS314901
- SKIL Cordless Jigsaw – JS820302
- DEWALT Cordless Jig Saw – DCS331B
- Makita Cordless Jig Saw – XVJ03Z
- WORX Cordless Jigsaw – WX543L
- BLACK+DECKER Cordless JigSaw – BDCJS20C
The 5 Best Corded Jigsaw Reviews
The Bosch (JS470E) is a very portable tool with an extensive list of features and a reputation for reliability. The Bosch offers several different speed settings, is resistant to vibration enough to make it suitable for precise cutting, and is currently on sale for less than half of its current price. While corded jigsaws are often more powerful than battery-powered tools, the cord can sometimes be a hindrance.
However, this is one of the best saws on the market and is an ideal choice if one is looking for a powerful corded drill. While the price is higher than average, it is currently selling at a discounted price that you may not want to miss out on.
Reasons to Buy:
- Worth its higher than average price due to being both reliable and offering impressive features
- Currently has a significant discount
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The package includes a blade, carrying case, anti-splinter insert, and wrench
- Can remove the blade from the saw without touching the metal.
- There are several different speed settings, allowing you to cut a wide variety of different materials.
- There is a dust blower that can be adjusted, helping you keep the cutting area clear of dust that can interfere with cutting accurately.
- The Bosch JS470E is a corded rather than a cordless jigsaw.
For its minimal price, the Black+Decker BDEJS600C is an excellent tool. The saw has a powerful 5 amp motor with variable speeds, a blade clamp that works without a key (so one can change the blade without tools), and the ability to make 45-degree bevel cuts. The saw also boasts curve control technology, allowing one to adjust the saw’s orbit if they need to cut a severe curve.
The saw is also easy to set up and use even for those with little or no experience with jigsaws. Don’t let the low price make you assume that this is a shoddy quality product; many fans of this tool point out that it is similar to more expensive options.
While reviews for this saw are generally very positive, some customers report durability issues. If the lock ring breaks, hardware stores may not sell lock rings that are small enough to repair this tool. Reviews are positive enough that durability issues may only be exceptional cases. The saw does not necessarily have any realdurability problems.
Reasons to Buy:
- Very light, can be used for long periods without the work becoming tiring
- Powerful and variable speed motor
- Good 24-month warranty
- Significantly cheaper than many other saws that are of similar quality and features
- Can be adjusted to allow for cutting steep curves
- You can remove the blade without needing an alan key to open the blade clamp
- Corded rather than cordless
- One must be careful what types of blades they buy for the saw, as it does not work well with most U-shank rather than T-shank blades
- Possible durability issues in some cases although not to the extent of this being a low-quality tool
While the Dewalt is not nearly as cheap as the Black and Decker, the Dewalt is a heavy-duty saw that can cut sturdy materials. It is a good choice if one is looking for a saw that can deal with metal as well as wood. The saw is capable of cutting a great deal of challenging material, including aluminum plates with the right blades. Don’t push your luck, but the saw can sometimes go beyond the recommended limitations.
It may be able to cut thicker metal than is recommended. The saw is also relatively heavy (but powerful), so it is not the best idea if one would prefer a 5 pound saw. The saw does not have problems with blade compatibility and can take a wider variety of blades than most other saws. While many blades are unsuitable for many saws, it is more likely to be compatible with blades that you use for other jigsaws.
The saw is also battery-powered. A user can, therefore, bring the saw anywhere and avoid the hazard that a long cord may bring to the worksite. The Dewalt is also capable of orbital cuts and not merely straight cuts. Professionals, as well as hobbyists, commonly trust the Dewalt for their projects. On the downside, the lack of a cutting light may annoy some users. Many users will avoid the tool due to the lack of a cutting light, which is necessary if one is cutting in dimly lit areas without bringing extra lighting.
Reasons to Buy:
- Good choice if you are looking for a heavy but powerful saw
- Can cut through tougher materials than most other cordless saws
- Long-lasting battery life
- High cutting power, including for metal with appropriate speeds and blades
- Light as well as powerful, not tiring to use
- Cordless but still powerful
- No cutting light, which is a problem as a jigsaw often shadows over where you are cutting
- Dust blower may be less effective than for some other saws
One of the best features of the Makita JV0600K its speed control dial. The speed control dial is excellent and allows one to control the speed of the blade without difficulty. The Makita is both light and powerful, with a 6.5 amp motor. One can change the blade quickly and without tools.
The Makita is also small enough to cut in tricky situations where a small saw is required. While the Makita does ship with saw blades and a tool case, it still lacks the necessary lithium batteries that power it.
Reasons to Buy:
- You can remove the blade without tools
- Vibration reducing technology
- Includes tool case and blades
- Small size for tricky cuts
- Powerful motor
- Excellent speed control dia
- Possible durability issues if you use more force than necessary
- Batteries not included
Skilsaw is a trusted company that has been producing durable tools for decades. Skilsaw backs their power tools up with generous warranties, with the warranty for this corded jigsaw lasting for five years. The saw can handle orbital cuts and offers a bright LED cutting light and a dust blower. The speed control of the SKIL JS314901 is not very useful, and if speed control is vital to you, buy another saw instead.
While you can adjust the speed by not pulling the trigger down all the way, it is a hassle to cut anything at any less than full speed with this saw. It is, therefore, not the right choice if one is cutting materials that require a slower cutting speed. If one is only interested in cutting materials at high speed, however, then this might be the right choice. Know in advance what you are going to be cutting before you buy this saw. Sometimes, one speed is enough.
One may be able to run the jigsaw at full speed and use different blades to cut different materials. Some people may also have more luck with the iffy speed control than others, but a saw with a speed control knob is much better.
Reasons to Buy:
- Ships with both a wood cutting blade and a metal cutting blade
- No batteries required
- Weighs little
- Low price
- Made by a company that has maintained an excellent reputation for decades
- Generous five-year warranty
- Dust blower
- Very bright LED cutting light
- Speed control is substandard
The 5 Best Cordless Jigsaw Reviews
The SKIL 20V 7/8 Stroke Length Jigsaw JS820302 has one of the most advanced batteries in the business and is of interest to those who want a cordless drill with a, particularly long-lasting battery. The saw is also resistant to overheating due to its unique and patented cooling system, so it can be used continuously for longer than usual without overheating. The advanced technology cools each cell individually to prevent overheating.
The battery is also compatible with other SKIL tools of the same voltage, so you will not have to buy many different types of batteries if you are using other SKIL tools. The saw also has a cutting light and a dust blower, and one can switch the dust blower off if they choose to do this. The tool ships with both a wood cutting blade and a metal cutting blade, and the tool comes with a long-lasting battery as well.
Reasons to Buy:
- Can be used for a long time due to its advanced cooling system and long battery life
- Includes both a dust blower and a cutting light
- 5-year warranty
- High cutting speed
- Ships with everything you need to run the tool
- Inexpensive for something that ships with both blades and batteries
- Less resistant to vibration than particularly vibration resistant tools
- A very few customers mention the tool shipping with faulty batteries
Corded saws sometimes lack power compared to corded saws. However, the DEWALT DCS331B can keep up with most corded saws. Only for the toughest projects do you need a more powerful jigsaw. The Dewalt is also a durable all-metal construction that is unlikely to break as a result of small mistakes. If you drop the saw, it is less likely to be damaged in this way than most other saws.
The saw is also long-lasting and backed up with a 3-year warranty. Two significant flaws are that the dust blower does not work very well, and there is no cutting light. While other Dewalt products have cutting lights, this is an exception. The lack of a cutting light is problematic as one will have trouble in environments that are not particularly well lit. If one is using the saw for building rather than for other woodworking projects, the lack of a cutting light may be a fatal flaw.
Many users describe the dust blower and weak and ineffective. For hobbyists, this saw may be a good idea due to its power, reliability, and price. A carpenter might want to avoid it as they are not always going to be cutting in very well-lit environments.
The Dewalt Cordless jigsaw is similar to its corded counterpart. For this reason, it suffers from the same flaw of poor speed control. This does not necessarily make it a poor choice. Depending on what you are cutting, you might not have much use for a saw that allows you to control the speed accurately. Those who use the saw tend to be impressed by it.
Reasons to Buy:
- Batteries included
- You can remove the blades from the blade clamp without tools i.e. Keyless blade removal
- Long battery life
- Generous three-year warranty
- Durable and from a respected company
- Unusually bright cutting light
- High power without being bulky
- Excellent warranty
- Dust blower
- Relatively cheap for such a strong battery-powered tool
- Putting less pressure on the trigger is not an effective way of controlling the speed
The extent to which cordless saws are weaker than corded saws is less than in the past, and that is mainly due to improvements in battery technology. The powerful lithium-ion batteries in the Makita XVJ03Z make this portable saw comparable in power to many corded saws. The minimal weight also makes this saw comfortable to use for a long time. The Makita is also ergonomically designed, which further makes it comfortable to use for long periods. The shape and balance, as well as the lightness of the tool, make it suitable for extended workdays.
The Makita is a high-tech saw, and that is not limited to its advanced batteries. Unlike most Jigsaws, the saw includes computer-controlled protections against overheating, over-discharging, and overloading. These high tech components make it harder to damage the saw accidentally. The Makita is an excellent choice if you are looking for a reliable saw with new high-tech features.
Reasons to Buy:
- Resistant to overheating and overloading
- Ergonomic design
- Weighs little
- High tech components that prevent overheating and similar problems
- Long-lasting batteries
- Powerful cutting
- Variable speeds
- Does not ship with a battery or any saw blades
- May have durability issues in some cases
The WORX WX543L ships with a battery, a blade, and a charger all included. One does not have to buy any other products before they can use the tool, as is often the case when purchasing new jigsaws. The saw has speed control, although not with the speed control dial that most users prefer. The shoe (or bottom part of the saw) is adjustable, allowing the saw to make angled cuts up to 45 degrees and not merely straight up and down cuts.
The price is also low, especially with the blade, batteries, and charger included. The saw is, however, somewhat plain and basic as while there is a dust blower, it does not include a cutting light.
Reasons to Buy:
- Includes a blade, charger, and battery
- Dust blower
- Capable of orbital cutting
- Inexpensive even though the box includes everything you need to use the tool
- Capable of making angled cuts
- Does not include a cutting light, lacks fancy features
- Speed control does not involve a speed control dial
The Black+Decker BDCJS20C is a good choice if one is looking for a cheap saw that is capable of precise cutting. The Black+Decker can make accurate cuts on many different types of materials, as long as the blades are suitable for what one is cutting. The saw is good for making angled cuts and offers tool-free blade removal. The saw is also cheap, and the box includes everything you need to use the tool.
Unfortunately, an unusually high number of reviewers report durability and performance problems with this tool. The battery seems to be weaker than the usual standard, with the battery dying quickly. The saw may also shut down if you make a single cut that takes too long. Probably, one is better off with a different cheap cordless tool. One can find even less expensive cordless drills that do not have these performance issues.
Reasons to Buy:
- Batteries and blade included
- Speed control
- Reasonably high power
- Low price
- Includes High precision for angled cuts
- A weak battery that runs out of power quickly
- Shuts down due to strain too easily, only suitable for lighter work and even then only for shorter periods of time
The Ultimate Jigsaw Buyers Guide
Jigsaws have been around since 1946, and since then have been technologically improved in many ways, including computer-controlled defenses against overheating and similar issues. The original idea was to replace the needle on a sewing machine with a blade, which led to the essential portable cutting tools we have today. Common features on jigsaws are cutting lights, variable speeds, dust blowers, and in some cases, laser guides. Buyers of saws look for these features and consider them more important than anything besides the quality and price of the saw.
Corded VS Cordless Jigsaws
The cordless jigsaw has the advantage of portability and is, therefore, an increasingly popular choice. The corded jigsaw remains common as well because corded jigsaws have always been more powerful than their cordless counterparts. Cordless jigsaw technology is improving, and the extent to which these saws are weaker than their corded counterparts is decreasing.
Corded jigsaws generally remain more powerful, although there is today overlap between the two, with some cordless saws being more powerful than some corded saws. Another advantage of the corded saw is that it does not need batteries. A corded saw can be used continuously for hours without running out of power.
What are the uses of jigsaws?
Jigsaws cut a variety of different materials, including plastic, wood, metal, and even ceramic and stone. There are no jigsaw blades that are suitable for all purposes. You will need different parts to cut different materials. Different speeds are also an asset as some materials require a slower pace. Both do-it-yourself types and professional carpenters use jigsaws.
What features should one look for in a jigsaw?
In this section, we will discuss the different features of a Jigsaw. Let’s have a look:
- Types of Blades and Blade Length
- Motors and Batteries
- The Shoe
- Cutting Lights
- Variable Speeds
- Dust Blowers
So, now let’s going to the details:
1. Types of Blades and Blade Length
There are two main types of blades used in jigsaws, the T-shank blade and the U-shank blade. T-shank blades are more common today as you can remove the blades on many modern saws without using tools.
T-shank blades are well suited for the type of jigsaws where you can remove the blades without tools. U-shank blades are not compatible with saws that use T-shaped blades, and vice versa. The blade length also has to be well suited to the jigsaw you use.
2. Motors and batteries
A motor with higher wattage usually means a more powerful jigsaw. However, it is no guarantee that a more powerful motor means more cutting power. Some high-powered jigsaws are weaker than others. A saw should have a reputation for high cutting power and not merely a motor that boasts some impressive statistics.
Two types of motors that power tools use are the brushed motor and the brushless motor. The brushless motor is becoming more common as it experiences less wear and tear and can power the saw more effectively.
3. The shoe
The shoe is the bottom part of the jigsaw, which is a functional part of the tool and must be well designed. One presses the shoe up against the surface one is cutting to reduce vibrations and allow for an accurate cut. The shoe is also there to protect the blade. Many jigsaws have adjustable shoes to make them suitable for a wider variety of different tasks.
4. Cutting lights
Most jigsaws have bright LED lights that allow you to see what you are cutting in dimly lit areas. The cutting light is an important feature that not all saws have. Some jigsaws even offer a laser guide to help you saw accurately in addition to a cutting light.
5. Variable speeds
Another common and significant feature in jigsaws is the ability to cut at different speeds. The best variable speed systems involve a dial to precisely choose what speed you want. A variable speed system can also be in the form of a trigger lock, which allows you to select the speed you want by pulling the trigger only part way and then press a button to lock the trigger in place.
6. Dust blowers
A dust blower is usually always on when the saw is running and does not have to be activated. The dust blower keeps dust away from the cut and therefore allows the saw to cut more accurately. Dust blowers also improve the safety of the jigsaw.
A jigsaw with a better warranty is more likely to be of higher quality, and a saw with a less generous warranty is more likely to be of lower quality. You don’t necessarily want the cheapest saw you can find a saw that has a poor warranty may cost you money if it breaks quickly.
Before you buy a jigsaw, you should be aware of the type of work you are going to be doing and select a saw well suited to your projects. Know in advance whether or not you are going to need speed control, a cutting light, or a cordless saw. Merely choosing a saw that is of high quality is not a good idea, as it could turn out to be poorly suited to your activities.
As is the case with many power tools, an expensive machine is not always of the highest quality. Sometimes, a cheaper saw can get the job done better.
You might also be interested in: